Social Media is evolving and with it comes new terms and descriptions for our practices and newly forming conclusions. Plus new mindsets.
Some new terms: ‘Holistic Social Media’, ‘Social Commerce’, ‘Social ROI’.
Let’s all trailblaze and challenge the ways that we see Social Media communication is forming. Let’s not follow the band wagon unless it makes strategic sense or gets results. So let’s follow what works.
If I were asked what I’d describe my Social Media philosophy and approach to be. I’d call it: ‘Holistic Social Media’, ‘Social Commerce’, ‘Social ROI’.
Its characteristics? It’s a meeting of:
* strategy first – before tools
* examines and integrates with the entire business plan
* considers the marketing mix on and offline
* suits the strategy & tools to the market: just because Facebook has the biggest numbers, it is not neccesarily the right tool, or that just because Twitter is on the rise it may not necessarily be vital for your brand to use it
* uses a broad definition of Social Media and even the next generation sci-fi leading edge interactivity or geolocation if need be (that many Social Media marketers don’t realise is AREADY here in NZ and globally)
* it may be around building community, and/or it may be around influencer attraction
* it may be around small numbers in passionate B2B niches, or it may be about larger numbers for B2C advocacy
* it may be prompted to produce leads, and/or it may be engagement focussed
* it may require a mix of direct response and engagement rates: combining a less engaging fast response tool to mid response tools, while the use of highly intensive relationship focussed tools to be built around community takes time.
* it may rely on a mix of Socially focussed SEO with hardcore Social Media
* it differentiates between Social Media and Social Networking
* it doesn’t get so enthused by the Social so the point that it becomes communication forgetting its goals or ROI need
* List building vs community building. It carefully considers email lead generation and database concepts vs social media database held on each network. A decision about the Social Sales Funnel is vital. This may be a values based decision – giving followers 100% at liberty to be in your community free of building a database, or convrsely that you need the flexibility to communicate at will and to back up your database as an email list.
* strives for ROI and beleives in Social Media ROI (mainly because the measurements force beyond brand building)
* is integrated, automated, strives to make sense of Social Media KPI’s (e.g. setiment) and analytics and Social Media ROI measurement
* virtual and just in time supply chains
Way back when (2008 and 2009) I talked about one size doesn’t fit all. This is the upgraded version of how Social Media practitioners can see this.
I know that Social Media purists may not see this hybrid Social Media view in the same way, especially those who are Twitter focussed. However when it has comes to case studies to show it works – there are examples. These experiences are creating our results at Tweet Twins and IceAv.